Lead is a naturally occurring ore; for centuries it was added to paint increasing its durability.
Lead was one of the earliest metals discovered by the human race and was in use by 3000 B.C
In 1887, US medical authorities diagnose childhood lead poisoning.
Lead Paint was banned in U.S. residential paint in 1978, however manufacturers were removing lead prior, aware of its health hazards.
Lead paint is a health hazard when lead dust is created. Lead dust is created through friction, for example an original wood window casing repeatedly opened and closed will cause lead dust. It is important to know where the lead paint is located, which can be done by a lead inspector. An infant crawling on the floor near this window is susceptible to ingesting this dust and/or an older child may eat paint chips as lead has a sweet taste. Unfortunately, children have been found to have elevated blood lead levels; current law suits are pending due negligent landlords failure to remediate this problem.
It first needs to be determined whether or not the paint in the home contains lead a paint. Only a certified lead paint inspector or risk assessor, such as our services provide, can tell you this instantly. With the use of an XRF analyzer, an immediate reading will be provided. Not all homes, just because they are built before 1978, contain lead paint. As the decades progress, less lead paint was being used as new materials were being developed and used. When you talk to a lead inspector, ask which type of test they will be doing and if they are certified. Oftentimes they will persuade you to do a "dust swipe" test, when this does not tell you if you have lead in the paint, this only tells you if there is lead in the dust.